- Terry Tempest Williams”
The month of August is always a fresh start to the new year at school when students, teachers, parents and school authorities work towards one ultimate goal- Free flow of the academic course. While students get busy with their orientation and registration, the school authorities move on to defining the academic calendar and planning the activities that will take place during the year.
Our focus area this year has moved on to creating a Bully-free environment in all the schools in California, achieved by informing parents, teachers and students and providing ideas to sidestep this ideological landmine. Bullying can be physical, verbal, or social. It can happen in the classroom, on the playground, on the school bus, in the neighborhood, over the Internet, or through mobile devices. Following are some steps to stop bullying:
- Students should be taught various behavioral measures to face and respond to bullying such as making a strong eye contact with the bully, standing tall and staying calm in a difficult situation or completely ignoring the bully by walking away.
- Making students aware of the right person to ask for help.
- Students should alert school officials about instances of bullying and work with the authorities towards a solution.
- Appointing a student representative who will monitor social media interactions publicly.
- Organizing Anti-Bully workshops and thus providing stop bullying information to students, teachers, and school authorities.
- Developing practical solutions with the school authorities, teachers, and students to discourage Bullying.1
Ensuring that every school has a School Climate Committee will help in maintaining a peaceful environment in the school and surroundings. This committee will provide a path to promote peace and peer education at the school and answer critical questions such as - How to maintain a culture of peace outside the events and seminars? How to help the students respond effectively when someone is inappropriate or disrespectful toward them? Ultimately the question arises - What to do to stop bullying? Leadership workshops can be conducted to work on measures to promote peace and peer mentoring at the school.
To face such issues related to Bullying, it is important that the students gain control of the situation and finally
stop the bully. We researched on various public schools across California and observed that most of the schools encouraged their students to participate in sports, drama and dance, and subject matter interschool competitions. However, most of the schools lagged in providing support on crucial factors for individual development such as Leadership, Public Speaking, Organizing Agendas, Conflict management and many more. In the ever-evolving socio-economic environment, it is really necessary that students be well exposed to the challenges and hardships one can face in the forthcoming future.
Check out this video for more tips on bullying: “Ways to Stop Bullying” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynTuA_tlZDE
ASK Academy helps in organizing workshops on various topics such as “The Art of Public Speaking”, “How to be a Leader” and many more. These workshops help High school and University students eradicate bullying activities.
1. Back to School tips, 8/1/2014
2. Back To School Quotes To Start The Year Off Right